Engaging the Family
Lenoir City High School
Parent Engagement Plan
Approved by FRC Advisory Board
January 23, 2012
Standard 1: Welcoming all families into the school community - Families are active participants in the life of the school, and feel welcomed, valued, and connected to each other, to school staff, and to what students are learning and doing in class and school.
Goal 1: Each school shall create a welcoming climate by:
- developing personal relationships.
- LCHS will request teachers make contact with parents at least once during the semester
- creating a family-friendly atmosphere.
- LCHS will offer open house for parents at the beginning of the year and four other opportunities for parent/teacher conferences.
- LCHS will provide freshman orientation programs for parents at all feeder middle schools.
- LCHS will provide summer orientation for all freshmen and their families as long as funds are available.
- LCHS Guidance Department will offer parent classes on various aspects of college applications. (Financial aid, application process, FASFA)
- LCHS will provide support to PTSO.
- providing opportunities for volunteering.
- Lenoir City Schools Family Resource Center will provide volunteer training, screening and referral to Lenoir City High School.
- LCHS will provide training and match volunteers to specific tasks based on skills.
Goal 2: Each school shall build a respectful, inclusive school community by:
- respecting all families.
- LCHS will provide a curriculum that reflects and respects diversity
- LCHS will appoint parents to advisory teams
- LCHS will provide translators as needed
- removing economic obstacles to participation.
- LCHS will provide fee waivers for all students who qualify through the free and reduced lunch program.
- LCHS Guidance provides assistance to acquire waivers for standardized tests.
- LCHS Guidance Department will refer parents and students to FRC and other financial resources as needed.
- ensuring accessible programming.
- LCHS will provide translators including sign language as needed
- LCHS will be in compliance with the laws governing ADA.
Standard 2: Communicating effectively - Families and school staff engage in regular, meaningful communication about student learning.
Goal 1: Each school shall share information with their families by:
- using multiple communication paths.
- LCHS will send out a monthly newsletter
- LCHS will provide parents with passwords to access their students' accounts via SKYWARD
- LCHS will maintain and update a current web site
- LCHS will notify parents yearly of the Parental Engagement Plan and will place the plan on the school website and secure hard copies in individual classrooms, front office and school library
- surveying families to identify issues and concerns.
- LCHS will place the TSIPP plan on the web page and allow for parent comment
- FRC will survey provide parent survey on community needs assessment (every other year)
- Panther Pack Survey
- Santa Helper Survey.
- having access to the principal.
- The principal will have an open door policy.
- providing information on current issues.
- Coordinated School Health web site will provide current information on health issues facing adolescents.
- LCHS Guidance Department will provide parent information nights on current academic topics
- LCHS parent newsletter will address current academic and health issues regarding students.
- facilitating connections among families.
- LCHS will support and encourage participation in PTSO.
- LCHS will support and encourage participation in booster clubs (i.e. band, various sports)
- LCHS Guidance Department and FRC will provide support to parenting students and parents through Parents as Teachers Program
Standard 3: Supporting student success - Families and school staff continuously work together to support students' learning and healthy development both at home and at school, and have regular opportunities to strengthen their knowledge and skills to do so effectively.
Goal 1: Each school shall share information about student progress by:
- ensuring parent teacher communication about student progress.
- LCHS will provide parent passwords and training on how to access students' grades through SKYWARD.
- LCHS will provide multiple communication avenues for teachers to conference with parents (phone, email, planning time, before and after school time)
- linking student work to academic standards
- LCHS will provide links on the school web site to state and national standards
- using standardized test results to increase achievement.
- LCHS will provide ACT testing free of charge to all students during the school day.
- LCHS will administer the PLAN test to all 10th grade students.
- LCHS will offer the ASVAB test to all interested students.
- LCHS will provide PSAT and AP testing to all interested students.
- sharing school progress.
- The principal will notify parents via multiple media outlets on an annual basis as to the status of the high school by reporting on graduation rates, average ACT scores and other pertinent information related to NCLB and good school standing.
Standard 4: Speaking up for every child - Families are informed and enabled to be advocated for their own and other children, to ensure that students are treated fairly and to have access to learning opportunities that will support their success.
- Goal 2: Each school shall support families as active participants in their children's learning at home and at school by:
- engaging families in classroom learning.
- LCHS administration will appoint parents to CTE Advisory Board, Principal's Advisory Board that address curriculum.
- LCHS will encourage parents to volunteer in the classroom.
- developing family ability to strengthen learning at home.
- LCHS Staff will provide syllabuses for each class, post grades in a timely manner to web based grade site, and provide information to parents to help their child with learning.
- promoting afterschool learning.
- LCHS staff will provide tutoring opportunities before and after school.
- LCHS will extend computer lab hours to 7:30 p.m.
Goal 1: Each school shall help parents understand how the school system works by:
Goal 2: Each school shall empower families to support their own and other children's success in school by:
- understanding how the school and district operates.
- LCHS will provide a student/parent handbook that explains the operations of the school.
- understanding their rights and responsibilities under federal and state laws.
- LCHS will provide a section of the student/parent handbook that explains all current federal and state laws that apply to students and their families including military opt out program and staff qualifications.
- learning about resources.
- LCHS Guidance Department and FRC will provide resource assistance when needed.
- resolving problems and conflicts.
- LCHS administration will have an open door policy for parents to address problems and concerns regarding their students.
- Provide bullying hotline to all parents
Standard 5: Sharing power - Families and school staff are equal partners with equal representation in decisions that affect students and families and together inform, influence, and create policies, practices, and programs.
- developing families' capacity to be effective advocates.
- LCHS will use the FRC Advisory Council as a forum for parental input to the Family engagement Plan. This plan will be reviewed annually by the FRC Advisory Council (membership to include parents from each school) on an annual basis based on recommendations from parents.
- FRC Advisory Council will work with LCES administration to develop a PD program to help teachers and parents work as equals to enhance a child's success.
- LCHS will provide parents with Student Handbook and school web site letting parents know of their parental rights.
- working with families to plan for their child's future.
- LCHS will provide four year planning opportunities for parents during freshman orientation.
- Provide input into yearly schedule for their students.
- Provide college information nights.
- Provide information to parents to interpret test scores.
- providing smooth transitions.
- LCHS Guidance Department and administrators will provide a parent night, summer orientation and school orientation for all rising freshmen and their families.
- engaging in civic advocacy for student achievement.
- LCHS will encourage parents to attend school board meetings, and encourage participation in the political process by updating parents on education concerns in the legislature.
Goal 1: Each school shall strengthen the family's voice in shared decision making by:
Goal 1: Each school shall help parents understand how the school system works by:
- Having a voice in all decisions that affect children
- LCHS will appoint parents to the CTE Advisory Board, Principal's Advisory Board and SACS/TSIPP Advisory Boards.
- LCHS will have parent meetings to discuss any major change to curriculum or other major school activities.
- Addressing equity issues
- LCHS will ensure that all students have equal opportunity to learning by waiving fees for all required classes to students who are financially eligible.
- LCHS will provide, when reasonable, activities for students or siblings to enhance parental involvement.
- Developing parent leadership
- Parents will be appointed to CTE Advisory Board, Principal's Advisory Board, SACS/TSIPP Advisory Boards, and encourage membership in PTSO.
Goal 2: Each school shall build families social and political connections by:
Standard 6: Collaborating with Community - Families and school staff work together with community members to connect students, families and staff to expand learning opportunities, community services and civic participation.
- connecting families to local officials.
- LCHS will have a link on their school web site that will provide information on school board members and meeting times.
- LCHS will advertise city and local government functions
- LCHS will provide a free facility use for political forums
- developing an effective parent involvement organization that represents all families.
- LCHS will support efforts to expand membership in PTSO.
Goal 1: Each school shall strengthen family ties to the community by:
- linking families to community resources.
- LCHS Guidance Department and Staff will refer families to Family Resource Center and other social service agencies as needed
- organizing support from community partners.
- LCHS will use the Family Resource Center to educate, coordinate, screen and train community members and businesses to work effectively with the school.
- turning the school into a hub of community life.
- LCHS will provide extended computer lab times and have open door use policy for this facility.
- LCHS will provide low or no cost facilities to the general public.
- partnering with community groups to strengthen families and support student success.
- LCHS will provide opportunities to local community groups and businesses to integrate into the curriculum through the CTE , academic and civic programs.